November 24, 2009 by greenhouse04
Mr. Green and I are on our way to becoming licensed Foster Parents… we have been on our way since last May! We have learned ALOT already, and we don’t even have a child in our home yet! For those of you who are considering becoming Foster Parents, here’s a quick test to see if you’d make it! (in the state of Kansas, that is)
1. Do you have a First Aid kit in every vehicle?
2. Do you have supplies on hand for both genders and several different ages of child?
3. Would your child be protected from bodies of water, including streams, ponds, pools, or hot tubs?
4. Can you make the decision to add a child to your family within a couple of hours?
5. Are your cats/dogs immunized every year, and do you have the paperwork to prove it?
6. Do you keep all medication, including vitamins, behind lock and key?
7. Do you have an egress window in your basement?
8. Do all your potential babysitters have background checks on file?
9. Can you deal with the possibility of losing your child?
10. Do you care about children who haven’t been given a chance?
If you answered “no” to any of the above questions, you may want to reconsider becoming Foster Parents. However, if you answered a resounding “YES” to the last question, the previous questions may merely be a nuisance you can deal with.
More insights on Foster Parenting to come! (as we actually begin to Foster Parent!)